What is a domain and How to choose a good domain name?
A domain is an online address that leads to your website/blog. For example, https://howtoweb.website is a domain. You type this words into the browser and it will lead to a web page.
Each domain has extensions like .com, .net:
- .COM is popular, professional, so you should choose this kind for your blog/website. However, .COM is one of the oldest extension on the Internet so beautiful domain names are now quite rare
- .NET + .ORG is also a good choice if .COM domain has been purchased by someone else.
- .IO is an extension that is being favored by tech start-ups, but it’s expensive. (50$+)
- If you are doing a website related to education, you may consider choosing domain .EDU because it looks more trustworthy. Edu is symbolic of education.
- There are also many other domains such as .BLOG, .SHOP, .CLUB, .STORE, .CC … but it is not very popular, looks very strange, …
Is Domain name an SEO criteria?
Many of you search for keywords on Google, always see domain .com appear in the first place and guess that .COM domain is the easiest for SEO, this is not accurate.
Google relies on “domain strength” to rank the keyword, which is indicated by the “website development process”. At the beginning, every domain is rated equally.
Domain .COM usually appear on the TOP because it is used widely, so you will see it much, that’s it.
However, you should NOT choose free, cheap domains like .TK, .INFO, .BIZ, etc. for a few reasons:
- Most content from cheap domains is garbage (Users who register to test or develop junk content) => Large amounts of content from these domains are blocked by Google
- Look not professional, not suitable for long-term development.
Common domain types
Before instructing you how to choose domain name, I will mention some common domain that you frequently encounter on the Internet, I will divide it into 4 domain types as follows:
Domain contains the entire keyword name.
buyiphone.com, seotutorial.com, etc are the domain of this form. It is EMD (Exact Match Domain), meaning that the domain name contains keywords that need SEO. These keywords often have a large search volume.
4 to 5 years ago, when domain contains the keyword is a factor that many experts think that influenced the search results, many people have decided to choose the domain like this. However, in the past 1-2 years, this is not correct anymore
The domain contains part of the keyword.
This is domain like: backlinko.com. This domain contains a part of the keyword (backlink), the rest is something that is not in the keyword but just something that is reminiscent to customers.
This domain is called PMD (Partial Match Domain). This type of domain can build a brand better than the Exact Match Domain.
Personal Branding Domain
There are some names like neilpatel.com. This kind of domain is also called PDM (Personal Domain Name), used to build personal brand very well.
Business Branding Domain
facebook.com, google.com or udemy.com are brand names, it’s called BDN (Branded Domain Name). Big brands will build their influence on customers so when someone says Google, people will immediately know it is a search engine, or Facebook is a social network.
Domain brand is a top choice for startup, because of its advantages and the potential is huge.
Should you use the keyword domain?
You already know about 4 types of domain, so what should you choose? I will give some advice for each type
Keywords in the domain have no meaning in SEO
As I mentioned, 4-5 years ago, SEO experts think that keyword domain is very beneficial for SEO. From 2015+, this is no longer true, the keyword domain has no effect on SEO.
So placing keywords in domain with EMD type to support SEO seems to be useless.
Google’s goal is to focus on quality content accuracy, and hundreds of other algorithms also aim to see if the content of a website is good or not.
Keywords in the domain have many weaknesses
Take an example of a website called buyiphone.com, with “buy iPhone” in the domain. This domain supposes to sell iPhone, smartphone, etc.
But in the future, if the website owner develops the job, want to add some products such as PC, the use of this domain is no longer reasonable. Because domain name only includes a field that is to sell smartphone.
Thus, the potential for brand development of EMD type is very low.
Think big, always choose a branding domain
This probably you also recognize, when you look to buy something usually go to sites that have more specific brands than the other websites.
Small start-up or large at the moment always choose short, easy-to-remember domain names for their products and services.
- If you start up a company, sell physical products or digital products on a scale of 2-3 people or more: Brand Domain Name, think of a unique name, short, easy to remember, easy to read, easy to pronounce.
- If you follow personal, sell products created by yourself: Use the Personal Domain Name or Partial Match Domain.
- Build a personal brand, make money with a blog: always prefers the Personal Domain Name, or use Partial Match Domain as well.
Do not confuse with another brand.
Name your brand carefully, research the name you choose on the net to avoid confusion as well as the problem of trademark, copyright can happen if you grow widely.